Support Groups and Services
Class+ Telephone Advice Line
CLASS+ works across East Sussex to support families/carers of young people with ASD. Their aim is to provide support and training that enables families/carers to build their understanding of the strengths and challenges faced by children and young people with Autism and so to develop greater confidence in how to support them.
They offer a weekly advice line, coffee mornings with parents, short pieces of home based support, training for parents and much more. The telephone advice line is available every Monday 10:00am to 1:00pm and every Friday 12:00pm – 3:00pm. Call 01273 336887 and ask for the CLASS+ advice line or email email@example.com
The National Autistic Society (Bexhill & Hastings Branch)
The Bexhill and Hastings Branch of the National Autistic Society offer information & support to families who have a child on the autism spectrum. Their aim is to help families feel less isolated. They have a variety of parent & carer support groups that meet in both Bexhill & Hastings, during the day & on some evenings.
East Sussex County Council Library Service (Dyslexia services) Reading for pleasure is for everyone. Your local public library is a great resource for children and young people with dyslexia. Here is some of what they can access:
- Barrington Stoke and Little Gem books in a dyslexia - friendly font
- Graphic Novels- great for encouraging reluctant readers
- Easy reads for all ages
- Computers with Supernova software and easy access keyboards. This software enables the user to change font, text size and colour. It also has a text to speech function
- EBooks and eAudiobooks ~ available for download for free from the library website www.eastsussex.gov.uk/libraries
- Read Hear book/CD sets published by Oakhill especially for dyslexic children to read and listen to a book simultaneously
- Audiobooks on CD, available from all libraries
- Prodigi and Eye Pal Solo machines are available in Bexhill and Eastbourne libraries, and in the new Hastings library when it opens. You can use these to magnify text, and change text colour and font. They also have a text to speech function. Help is available for those wishing to use the machines
Families for Autism
Groups run in Eastbourne, Newhaven and Heathfield www.familiesforautism.com. They provide support, encouragement and understanding to children and young people on the Autistic Spectrum and their families.
dyslex.io aims to be a one-stop site for everything you need to know about dyslexia, whether you are dyslexic yourself, a parent or carer of someone who is dyslexic. Visit the website for more information http://dyslex.io/
Amaze SENDIASS is the Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service for East Sussex. They can offer advice on anything to do with special educational needs and disability including education, health and social care. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 2.30pm on 01273 772289. You can also email the helpline on firstname.lastname@example.org.